Thursday, August 14, 2014

Day One Down ... All Is Well

Well ... we did get started a little later than hoped but just as expected ... and not without any difficulties.  Here's a pic of the staging before we began the trip ... I will miss that house ... I will miss the park next door to my house ... but I have to tell you that I am very excited to get underway.




It turns out that my UHaul car dolly has a broken fender and my UHaul cargo trailer has a crossed connection in the wiring of the lights.  The van was blowing fuses like corn popping in hot oil ... couldn't keep the brake lights working.  After a few hours parked in a truck stop and a lot of packing and unpacking of the trailer, I was able to find my magnetic light set, some "metal tape" (heavy duty aluminum foil tape - the magnets had apparantly fallen off so I had to tape the lights to the trailer) and back on the road we were.

It was an emotional morning for my 5 yr old daughter, Mileyna ... she suddenly realized she wouldn't be able to see her cousins or friends any time soon ... she was heartbroken.  It amazes me how mature the emotional responses can be for children so little and seemingly naive.

Our expected 8 hour trip only took us 13 hours ... when we crossed the MS state line, my son Dayson (9) also realized that "Hey, we won't see that again ..."



I didn't take any pics crossing into Alabama ... it was too dark.

Please pray for us ... I had to stop twice today bc my dolly's straps had come off of both tires (one at a time) ... that would be a terrible accident.  I was able to rig the straps by implementing my own ratchet straps ... that would be terrible.

When we arrived at the hotel (Drury in Birmingham - beautiful and PET FRIENDLY!!) I discovered that one of my cats had messed in his kennel ... that was disgusting ... it was all over him.  That took a while to clean up!!


Tomorrow we will head out early again ... hopefully make good time and get to our next hotel at an hour the kids can enjoy!

It's 230 AM now ... so it's time for bed for me ...

Please pray for us if you think to ... as often as you think to.  People are very impatient with convoys ... and convoys can be very dangerous.  We are in good hands ...

In closing I thought you might like to see the cake our church got us for our going away ... it was delicious!!


Goodnight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment